Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout

Now reviewing...Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer Armentrout



I give Obsidian 4.5 stars. Now here's why.

For anyone who hasn't read any of the Lux series, it consists of five installments: Obsidian, Onyx, Opal, Origin, and Opposition. Technically, there is also a prequel, Shadows, but the main series is just those five books. Now, I have only read Obsidian so I cannot speak for the rest of the series, but WOW! I loved this book! It is a quick read but very entertaining! I haven't read the Vampire Diaries books, but I have watched all of the seasons of the show on the CW and I have to say that if you enjoy TVD, that you will most likely love this series! I definitely liked this first book anyways.

It begins with the average girl who is forced by her mother to move to a small city in West Virginia. She is a shy book lover (awesome girl in my opinion ;)) who tries to branch out and be friendly with the two kids that live next door. One, a girl named Dee and her brother, the gorgeous Daemon. It seems like something is up with them as Daemon comes off much less than friendly and seems to hate her form the minute they meet. Although her and Dee become instant friends, there are strange occurrences that begin to happen whenever Daemon and Dee are around which leaves Katy wondering what is up with them...

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Now I was just as confused as Katy was as to why everyone was so weird around her. I had my suspicions (vampires, werewolves, etc.) but didn't know exactly what it could be. As the story progressed, the circle of strange people increased which only made me more curious as to what they actually were! Of course, the one thing I didn't actually think of, ALIENS. Now, I have never read any books that had "aliens" because I always assume that it is some super strange sci-fi book that I will not like. However, the type of aliens in this book are not the typical aliens that we see in movies, so I found myself pleasantly surprised there! I like the originality of their race/powers as opposed to writing another story about vampires or other supernatural creatures. 

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Katy and Daemon's relationship. At first, it seems that he is just a huge asshole (please excuse my language) and he doesn't want to be nice to Katy at all. However, as the truth unravels and Katy becomes aware of what he and the others are, she understands more of why he acted the way he did towards her. Now that everything is out in the open, they have a denial filled, sarcastic, snappy relationship with each other which I found hard to forget! Their blooming feelings are hard to avoid and I can see that he really seems to care about her. She just needs to come around now so they can live happily ever after, as human and alien :) Haha.

The one thing I didn't like is just how rude everyone is to Katy in the beginning when she has no idea why. I felt that everything that was said and done could have been written as "talking behind her back" as opposed to just being mean to the main character, but that is a minor downside compared to the rest of the book.

Anyways, I thought the book was very well written and had great characters that are hard to get away from! I will definitely be reading the rest of the series at some point, but first I need to get some other books on my shelf read before they start collecting dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment