Monday, September 8, 2014

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Now reviewing...Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs



So I gave this book 3 stars...


I had heard many people who raved about how amazing this book was and really, thoroughly enjoyed reading it. With this is mind, I purchased it from Amazon about a month and a half ago and just now got around to reading it. I was very excited to start it due to its stellar reviews, so when I began it a few days ago, I had very high hopes. However, my hopes were quickly shattered as I did not find the book nearly as amazing and encapsulating as people had noted it was.


For those of you who don't know what this book is about, here is an idea. There is a boy named Jacob who is very close with his "crazy" grandfather, Abe. Growing up, Abe tells Jacob many stories about peculiar children that he encountered at a children's home that he had taken refuge at during WWII. However, they involve children that can levitate, lift tons worth of items, and are completely invisible! Jacob grows up thinking that his grandfather is just stretching the truth and is crazy, because these types of people could not truly exist. When his grandfather dies, Jacob is labeled as "crazy" for beginning to believe the stories he had heard as a child and is encouraged be his therapist to go to this almost deserted island to learn the truth about his grandfather's past. Sounds interesting, doesn't it? I thought so too but as I continued to read, I found my interest dwindling by the page.


SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

So the things that I did enjoy in this book:


The pictures were quite cool. I read an interview at the end of the book with the author and learned that these photos were all real (minus a few photoshop changes) which is super awesome! I think the pictures also really help the reader gain a better visual of what some of the characters in the children's home look like, especially since sometimes it is hard to visual what an invisible boy might look like ;) I also appreciated the relationship that Jacob had with his grandfather. I have only really been able to meet 1/4 grandparents so it was heartwarming to learn more about their close relationship. The things I enjoy pretty much ended there. That is not to say that the rest was horrible, but it just did not catch my attention too well.


The things I did not enjoy:


The book did not keep my attention. Obviously, I continued reading and did finish the book, but at no point did I feel like I just had to keep reading. I have read plenty of books that suck me in like that, so I know that this book just wasn't as exciting. I also felt like there could have been a more intriguing intro, as it picked up very very slowly and felt like it took awhile to get to anything exciting. Lastly, towards the end of the book, I had no urge to go and pick up the next book. I felt like the ending was very anticlimactic. I know that they were all headed off to go find a new loop so they can avoid the hollowgasts, but I felt like them going off into the sunset left no feeling of continuation. I don't know, maybe it was just me, but I thought it could have been better.


Overall, it was an OK book. It was a unique story, but I felt no draw to keep reading and felt no connection to the characters in the book. I wouldn't go as far as to recommend it, but that is just me, as obviously many other people have suggested it. Take a crack at it and see if it's something you enjoy.


I hope this review was helpful, happy reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment