Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Book Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

HELLO! First off, I'd like to thank you for checking out my blog! I have never done book reviews before, so I hope I do not disappoint anyone! Now, without further adieu, I am going to write my first review on....GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn.


So, I had an idea of what this book was about before I began reading it. It was difficult to avoid all of the hype about it, how amazing it was, and the fact that it is coming out on the big screen this October. However, I did my best to read this book without keeping in mind how amazing everyone I knew seemed to think it was. Once I finished the book, I decided that for me, it was worth 4 stars. Let's look at the good and the bad about this book that I found while reading.

HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!


The Good:
For starters, I really enjoy the writing style of alternating viewpoints in every other chapter. Although this can become frustrating when one of the chapters ends on a climax, it was definitely a plus to me. I had never had much experience with this alternating style until I read Allegiant by Veronica Roth, but I have read more of this type since then and have really come to like it! Also, Flynn has a great way of really sucking you into the character's lives and exposing their true colors. This was VERY important to this story and I think she did a great job.

In terms of the story itself, I loved the fact that you are lead to believe that Nick had murdered his wife up until the middle of the book where the huge plot twist is thrown in! Turns out that Amy is just a psycho...who would have thought?! I definitely didn't see that coming so kudos to Flynn. It made it so that the story was somewhat revived and brought back to life as we got to see a whole different side of what happened (since it actually wasn't Nick in the first place). She also did a good job of creating Amy's past in which we get to see why she turned out the way she did (crazy) and why she had to do all of the horrible things that she did just to punish her husband.

The Bad:
I felt like the beginning of this book was a tad slow. I mean, I know there needs to be background for the reader to understand what is going on, but I felt like the beginning was a little dry and hard to get into. Maybe that was just me, but it did get better (obviously) so that isn't a big deal. I also almost couldn't get over how much I absolutely loathed Amy...I really just wanted to throw my Kindle at the wall sometimes and stop reading. I know that is a stupid reason to not want to keep reading, but at the twist point, she just drove me crazy! I suppose she is meant to be that way so it's not necessarily bad, just something that bothered me. Otherwise, there wasn't much that I found bad about this book.

Overall, this book was very well written and tells a great, chilling story of a conniving wife who holds on to grudges for way too long. Typical story with a new twist. I really hope that the movie does the book justice because I am definitely going to go see it when it comes out!

I hope this review was good enough for everyone, thanks for reading! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment